The Forum and its collaborators are pleased to be hosting a ‘virtual’ version of the masterclass on the conduct and use of patient-oriented research in Ontario’s health system. All sessions will be conducted online using Webex. We will be hosting four offerings of the virtual masterclass, with each offering 11 weeks in length:
- 25 February 2019 to 6 May 2019 (sessions on Mondays and Thursdays, 2:30pm to 3:30pm)
- 23 May 2019 to 1 August 2019 (sessions on Thursdays and Wednesdays, 12:00pm to 1:00pm)
- 9 September 2019 to 25 November 2019 (sessions on Mondays and Thursdays, 2:30pm to 3:30pm)
- 6 January 2020 to 23 March 2020 (sessions on Mondays and Thursdays, 12:00pm to 1:00pm)
Outline of the virtual masterclass
Each of the 11 weeks will include a one-hour instructional session and (in weeks 2 to 10) one additional one-hour ‘check-in’ session, which will allow for feedback and interaction among the participants regarding tasks stemming from the instructional sessions. The outline of the first offering of the virtual masterclass is as follows:
|| Monday 25 February 2019
|| Monday 4 March 2019
|| Thursday 7 March 2019
|| What do patients and families need to know?
|| Monday 11 March 2019
|| Thursday 14 March 2019
|| What do healthcare providers need to know?
|| Monday 18 March 2019
|| Thursday 21 March 2019
|| What do researchers and research trainees need to know?
|| Monday 25 March 2019
|| Thursday 28 March 2019
|| What do policymakers and managers need to know?
|| Monday 1 April 2019
|| Thursday 4 April 2019
|| Ontario's health system
|| Monday 8 April 2019
|| Thursday 11 April 2019
|| Finding and using research evidence
|| Monday 15 April 2019
|| Thursday 18 April 2019
|| Supporting POR and Indigenous peoples
|| Monday 22 April 2019
|| Thursday 25 April 2019
|| Small group dynamics and patients as contributors
|| Monday 29 April 2019
|| Thursday 2 May 2019
|| Content specific to patients and families
Content specific to health care providers
Content specific to researchers and research trainees
Content specific to policymakers and managers
|| Monday 6 May 2019
|| Wrap-up and conclusion
All sessions in the first offering will be held from 2:30pm to 3:30pm. Future virtual offerings will follow the above outline but will take place on different dates, possibly at different times, and possibly with some minor ordering changes.
Connecting to the virtual masterclass
All sessions of the virtual masterclass will be conducted ‘live’ on the internet using the Webex platform. Participants need to ensure they have a reliable internet connection, speakers, and a microphone.
- 29 hours
- 11 hours (1 hour per week) for virtual instruction
- nine hours (1 hour per week excluding the first and last week) for check-ins/discussion
- Approximately nine additional hours to complete tasks independently
- Each participant must attend a minimum of 10 instructional sessions and seven check-in sessions in order to be eligible for a completion certificate.
- If participants are unable to attend any of the sessions, each session will be recorded and posted for participants to view, however, these instances will not count toward a completion certificate.
Registration is open for all offerings of the virtual masterclass. Please complete the registration form. Registrants must be based in Ontario and fall into one of these categories:
- patients and families
- healthcare providers
- policymakers and managers
- researchers and research trainees
Spots for each category for each offering of the virtual masterclass are strictly limited. Successful registrants will be contacted at least two weeks prior to the start of the virtual offering.